Suburb Profiles.


Melville/Alfred Cove/Myaree.


In March 1827 (2 years prior to the Swan River settlement), Captain James Stirling named Melville Water after Robert Dundas (the second Viscount Melville).  The area was first proposed for development in 1896 as Melville Park Estate, but legitimately moved ahead after WW1.

The sheltered river enclave of Alfred Cove was named after Alfred Waylen, the original grantee of land which took in most of the present day localities of Myaree and Alfred Cove.

Until 1954, current Myaree (Nyoongar word meaning 'foliage') consisted of poultry farms, vegetable gardens and light industrial works.

The acquisition of the land by the Melville Road Board ensured a combination of managed urban residential and light industrial development. Street names were chosen to commemorate local men who died on active service in WW1 and old residents who had played an active part in the development of the area.

Schools and Institutions.

Melville Primary School
70 Curtis Road
9330 2255
www.melvilleps.wa.edu.au

Melville Senior High School
Potts Street
9330 0300
www.melville.wa.edu.au

Mel Maria Catholic Primary School
(Pater Noster Campus)
North Lake Road
6330 0500
www.melmaria.wa.edu.au

Restaurants and Cafes.

Mai Thai
583 Canning Hwy
9330 5935
www.maithai.net.au

Blend Café and Pizza
356 Marmion Street
9317 4400
www.blendcafepizza.com

It’s Amore
67 North Lake Road
9317 1366

Lures Fish & Chips
583b Canning Hwy
9330 4680

Delicious Fingers
350 Marmion Street
9330 1945



What we love.

  • The transformation of the old Melville School site
  • Access to excellent shopping
  • Access to the river and Tompkins Park
  • Family friendly with predominately larger block sizes
  • The Midnight Fox