70 South Street, FREMANTLE WA 6160
1899 Stone Classic: Character by the Coast. History, personality, walkability
Thick stone walls, lofty ceilings, arched hallway, and all the layers of history with stories to tell from 1899 to today – that is the experience of living in this classic Fremantle home, with the bonus of a brilliant coastal location on the South Freo border. Walk down to the Fishing Boat Harbour and the beach, over to South Terrace cafes and shopping, or into the centre of town to take in a movie and try one of the great local restaurants. Secluded behind a big gumtree on the verge and a high freshly-rendered wall, it is cool and quiet inside, with a long backyard that goes on forever and a big double garage at the rear.
The elevated veranda catches the seabreeze, and the leadlight windows bring in the light. A long arched hallway is a spectacular entry and a precious piece of design history, featuring the intricate terrazzo flooring created by the Scolaro family’s famous Universal Tile Factory in Fremantle in the 50s. The original jarrah floors flow in the two large air-conditioned bedrooms leading from the hallway. It all opens up to a very spacious, air-conditioned living room which is an artwork in itself, with another magnificent terrazzo design on the floor and an earlier deco vibe to the ceiling details. A big kitchen has lots of white cabinetry, cork flooring and louvred windows, and adjacent is the bathroom with laundry incorporated.
Step out to the patio and discover just how far back this block goes, with paved courtyard gardens, massive mandarin tree, and a very cool outdoor bathroom, with bath, shower and vanity. It’s all sheltered, private and shady, and a lovely spot for a relaxing bath in the evening. The original stone outdoor loo is in working order, and beyond is the double garage with storage space. It’s accessed from a driveway and open area laid out when four cottages were built here in 1899, and those shared spaces still work perfectly in this friendly neighbourhood.
Heaps of character, a really convenient location close to the ocean, plus the potential to add even more value make this a compelling proposition for the smart investor, and just a great place to live.
2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms 2 cars
• 1899 classic: stone, tuckpointed brick, iron roof strata-titled home
• Layers of history include spectacular terrazzo flooring
• Elevated veranda, high ceilings, breezy cross-ventilation
• Large jarrah-floored bedrooms and spacious living room
• North-facing kitchen with louvres
• Instant gas hot water system
• Well-appointed bathroom/laundry
• Outdoor bathroom: bath/shower & pedestal sink
• Outdoor limestone toilet
• Long block with private patio & gardens with fruit trees
• Rare rear double garage with storage space, water tank
• Bedrooms and living air-conditioned
• Western end of South St, secluded behind high wall
• Walk to South Freo, beach, Fishing Boat Harbour, central Freo
Please phone Siobhan Micale, Exclusive Listing Agent, to view this stunning home today!
- 2 bed
- 2 bath
- 2 Parking Spaces
- 2 Garage