Urgent Repairs Outside of Office Hours
Urgent Repairs are defined by the Residential Tenancies Act 1987 and fall into 2 categories:
Repairs that are necessary for the supply or restoration of an essential service
Essential services are listed in the Residential Tenancies Regulations 1989 as electricity, gas, a functioning refrigerator (if one is provided with the premises), waste water management treatment and water (including the supply of hot water). Arrangements for repairs that are necessary to supply or restore an essential service must be made with a suitable repairer within 24 hours.
Other urgent repairs.
Other urgent repairs are those that are not necessary for the supply or restoration of an essential service, but may nevertheless cause damage to the premises, injure a person or cause undue hardship or inconvenience to the tenant. Arrangements for these repairs must be made within 48 hours.
In every tenancy, if the need for urgent repairs arises other than as a result of a breach of the agreement by the tenant:
- The tenant is to notify the lessor or the property manager of the need for urgent repairs as soon as practicable; and
- The lessor is to ensure that the repairs are carried out by a suitable repairer as soon as practicable after that notification; and
- If, within 24 hours (in the case of repairs to essential services) or 48 hours (in the case of other urgent repairs), the lessor or property manager cannot be contacted, or, having notified the lessor or property manager of the need for repairs, the lessor fails to ensure that the repairs will be carried out by a suitable repairer as soon as practicable after that notification, the tenant may arrange for the repairs to be carried out by a suitable repairer to the minimum extend necessary to effect those repairs; and
- If a tenant arranges for repairs to be carried out as above, the lessor must, as soon as practicable after the repairs are carried out, reimburse the tenant for any reasonable expense incurred by the tenant in arranging for those repairs to be carried out and paying for those repairs.
Please call your Property Manager and leave a message stating your name, property address, urgent repair requirement and your best available contact number.
If you do not receive a response from your property manager WITHIN 3 HOURS and the issue is causing damage to the property or life threatening please refer to the attached list for the recommended course of action to take.
Break In’s and Damages to Glass
- Contact the Police and report the break in.
- Obtain a Police Report number.
- Without obtaining the police report number, the cost of replacing the glass will be invoiced to you.
- If there is any other damage to the property besides glass damage, this must be reported to Yard Property the next working day.
- You may contact the following recommended glazier to secure the property Prompt Glass 9330 5555
- You may instruct the glazier to forward the account directly to Yard Property. If the glass is the result of an act attributable to yourself, you may call the glazier to repair the broken glass; however payment of the invoice must be made by yourself.
Hot Water System Stops Working
- If it is a gas hot water system, check that the pilot light is on. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, you may contact directly: Fairview Plumbing & Gas 0417 276 789. If the hot water system is electric, you may contact Seamless Electrical Services 08 6150 8116
- For any gas leaks at main you must contact Alinta Gas on 13 13 52
- You may contact directly Fairview Plumbing & Gas 0417 276 789
ELECTRICAL PROBLEM THAT MAY CAUSE HARM TO THE TENANT
- You may contact directly: Seamless Electrical Services 08 6150 8116
BURST WATER PIPE
- Turn the water off at the mains immediately
- Contact Water Corporation 13 13 75 and/or Fairview Plumbing & Gas 0417 276 789
POWER LINES FALLEN DOWN
- Call Western Power immediately on 13 13 51
LOST KEYS OR KEYS LOCKED INSIDE HOUSE
- You may contact a locksmith directly; however the tenant is responsible for payment of the account. We recommend Elite Locksmith 1300 139 511
SEVERE STORM DAMAGE
- If injury to another person call an ambulance on 000
- Call SES (State Emergency Service) on 1300 130 039
- If there are any burst water pipes, turn the water off at the mains and contact Fairview Plumbing & Gas 0417 276 789
- If there is any electrical damage, turn the power off at the mains and contact Seamless Electrical Services 08 6150 8116
- If there is structural damage to the house, flooding or electrical problems, do not stay in the house.
The following situations are NOT classified as urgent repairs and MUST be reported to your Property Manager the next working day:
- Blocked toilets (When there is a second unblocked toilet on the premises).
- Stove/Oven not working.
- General Repairs and Maintenance
- Blocked Pipes, Shower, Kitchen Sink that are backing up.
- Hot water system going hot and cold
- Trouble with Reticulation
- Leaking Taps
- Pest Control ie. Pest Control such as ants, mice, rats, cockroaches, flies, silverfish, earwigs etc is the responsibility of the tenants and the owner is not obliged to pay for treatment. It is recommended that you purchase treatments such as bombs and/or baits from the supermarket, and ensure that you have placed them in strategic locations to prevent cockroach infestation. Local Councils also have products available and sometimes provide these free of charge to known infested areas.
Please note that if you go ahead with a repair that IS NOT classified as an urgent repair, the owner is NOT obliged to pay for any expenses incurred.